Welcome!

Hi! My name is Trevor Kellogg, and this is Knights of Nine to Five - a fantasy webcomic that I write and illustrate. Currently, this work is a part time effort second to my day job, and I am posting updates as soon as I'm able, working toward a more consistent release schedule. Be sure to subscribe to the RSS feed so you don't miss an update! : )

Thanks for checking out my webcomic!

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Recommended Sites

Here are some sites I recommend if you're interested in learning about or making webcomics:

webcomics.com - A webcomics news/how-to website started by Scott Kurtz, Dave Kellett, Kris Straub, and Brad Guigar - four webcartoonists that I've been learning A LOT from since starting Knights of Nine to Five. Besides some helpful posts, this site is home to the excellent Webcomics Weekly Podcast, recorded by Scott, Dave, Kris, and Brad. This podcast has helped me out a ton. Pretty much every aspect from every stage of independent webcomic development is covered, and the guys are pretty entertaining to listen to. Back when I was getting started and trying to find out more about webcomics, I stumbled upon this podcast and have since learned an incredible amount of information.

seqalab.com - Home of a podcast produced by the students, faculty, and alumni of the sequential art department at the Savannah College of Art and Design. The format (for the newer ones, at least) is basically a bunch of sequntial art (comic) students sitting around and talking about comics news, comics they like, and their own personal projects. I've been listening to a bunch of these for the past month, and they're pretty entertaining. Like the Webcomics Weekly podcast, I usually listen to this one in the background while I ink on the computer.

Is It Funny Today? - A rating site for webcomics created by two college students that I recently found out about. Basically, you're shown a list of comics that you can click, read, and vote "yes" or "no" on whether it was funny. The webcomics are then ranked in a numbered list based on user ratings. It's a great way to find some webcomics you might like if you're new to the scene, or a great way to support the strips you already like. It's still being developed, but I think it's pretty neat and I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

2 comments:

A said...

Nice. :) I bought the book Kurtz and Co. put out on making web comics. I've always wanted to do a web comic myself (I used to do single panel toons for the Baro... I just can't think of a story for a web toon).

If you're still looking for a place to host your comic, you might look into this: http://www.comicgenesis.com/index.html

I may have mentioned it before, but since I'm not sure I figured I'd go ahead and risk posting it again. :)

Keep up the good work Trevor. Love your comic.

Knight of 9 to 5 said...

Thanks for your nice comment, Ariadne! :)

I, too, bought How to Make Webcomics by the webcomics.com guys several months ago. It's a really helpful resource and I would recommend it to anyone interested in making a webcomic. I found that a lot of it rehashed what had already been said in their podcasts, but there was still a lot of helpful items in there. (Plus, it's helpful to have a tangible copy to flip through instead of sifting through hours of podcasts). I'm sure I'll be going back to it again soon, especially when some of the sections become relevant to my current status. (Like conventions! :) )

One of my goals this year is to get an actual website up and running, so I think (hope) Blogger will keep me until then. :) Thanks for the suggestion, though!